Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Review: Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird

Today's review is on Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird by Jesse James Freeman

I finished reading this book last night and decided to hold off on writing my review. I wanted some time to think about it before putting my thoughts down on "paper". It's a bit difficult because, though there were parts of the book that I really enjoyed, there were some chapters that I didn't.

Most of the book focuses on Billy Purgatory and his life, but some chapters switch the focus to his mother's. In fact, I feel that there were a bit to many chapters about Emelia Purgatory for my taste. I mean the book is about Billy right?

And speaking about Billy, do ten-year-olds really say the word Broad? I haven't heard any. Also, I know the main character's name is Billy Purgatory. You don't need to tell me that over and over and over. It also would have been nice to have some type of time frame in the book. I mean, he's ten, then twenty-two, and then some time passes and he's how old now??

Overall, I like the premiss of the story. Vamp's, Zombies and other creatures are abound, and all Billy wants is to find his mom. (At least towards the end.)

Billy's life is far from normal. Though on the surface he seems like every other 10 year old, he skips school, get's suspended, is pretty much emotionally neglected by his father, and lives in a hobble. As if that's not bad enough, he decides to help a beautiful girl only to find that she is a vampire.

Little does Billy know that that particular beautiful vampire will become a permanent fixture in his life and in his heart, and his life will never be the same.

Billy Purgatory is one of those books that you simply have to read for yourself to see if it is something you enjoy. The writing is descriptive enough that it pulls you in from the first chapter, even though there are some editing mistakes.

At any rate, now I have to read the second book just to find out what happens next. So many books to read, with so little time to read them.


3.5 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon



0 comments:

Post a Comment